menu   Home Blogs I Love Shop Here Disclosures Meet Me  

10 More/10 Less Freebie

I'm all about math groups lately. I teach a self-contained gifted class, but within my group there is still a big range of abilities. Mostly because gifted students are not always gifted in all areas, so I may have a very verbal student reading on a 5th grade level who is on par with a typical second grade peer in math - and vice-versa, of course. This year I'm seeing a bigger difference in math than I usually do. I have about half the class who is ready to fly in math and the other half needs a bit more time to process things. I can totally relate. As a kid I was all about reading, writing and geeky work games but the prospect of answering a math question out loud sent shivers down my spine!

So, to accomodate this group of nuggets, I've been doing a lot of pretesting and then dividing the class into two groups. One group works on the current concept  through some independent or group activities on a higher level and the other works more closely with me. 

For this last go around, I made some math mats for the higher group to work on 10 more/10 less. Each mat has a list of numbers down the middle for the kids to use to find 1 more/1 less and 10 more/10 less.
There's a matching answer key for each mat too.
You'll see in the download that I also included little squares that you can use as manipulatives, but I have a crazy overabundance of foam math manips. Seriously, this is about one-fifth of the shapes alone! 

So I just wrote the numbers on the foamies and added them to the bag with the mat and the answer key.  Originally I planned on writing the answers on bottle caps, which I also have a collection of for some reason. You can also just laminate the mat and have them write on it, I suppose.

Here they are in action:

If this looks like something you can use, you can download the whole set of mats and answer keys free from tpt. Just click {HERE}. I'm working on a set of 100 more/100 less too.

Happy Mathing!



  1. I have also been loving math groups. It has made it a lot easier for differentiation! Thanks for sharing the math activity!

    The REAL Teachers of Orange County

    1. You are so welcome! Hopefully I've have the 100's ones done in a few days :)

  2. This will go with with the activities I have planned for my two parent volunteers tomorrow. Thanks for your creativity and sharing this wonderful math activity with the rest of us:-)

    1. You're welcome friend! I didn't think of using it with parent volunteers, but that's a great idea!

  3. Thank you for sharing your math activities. I am looking foward to using thes in my classroom. I'm also thinking about hte math journal ... I think it would be valuable, just trying to find the time to fit it all in.
    Amy Kenyon
    Where Seconds Count

  4. Thank you for sharing! And I love the idea of the math journals -- they would be a terrific warmup (cooldown?!) for the ten minutes before math when the kids are recovering from recess and getting drinks, etc.

    I really appreciate your products, blog, and enthusiasm. I've been teaching a while too, and it's easy to lose that joy. But I'm getting it back, thanks to reading your blog for the past few months!

    I've recently opened a TPT store (whee, all of 4 products so far!) and thought of my featured freebie when I saw your blog title yesterday. Maybe you'll find it useful! :) I don't know how to link to it here, but if you search for me (Amanda Kipfer) on TPT, it's the Place Value Practice activity. I hope you like it - maybe it's a tiny payback for all the good stuff I've gotten from you! :)

    :) Amanda

  5. Thank you so much! We are working on this in my intervention math club after school! These are perfect!!! Thank you so much!!! :)

  6. I love the prompts for your math journals! Thanks so much for the idea. This freebie will be super useful as we begin exploring the hundred chart! Thanks!

    Mrs. Dwyer’s A+ Firsties

  7. This will be a wonderful addition to my beginning of the year math tubs! Thanks so much for this freebie!!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...