Computer Clean-up

Part of the end of the year ritual always includes cleaning things that you somehow neglected for way too long. For me, that included my class laptops. These laptops are in my library corner and hold two castoff laptops that work  *just enough*  if you cross your fingers on a good day for the kids to access AR. That being said, they are used constantly throughout the day and I have the kids trained to close them at dismissal and wind up the headphones. So, what I'm trying to say here is that there really is a good reason why I didn't really notice this <gag> grossness that had accumulated on them!
Really, can that BE any more disgusting? When I got the notice to turn them in for the summer, I knew there was no way I was going to return them in this condition. Never fear, with the most minimal effort about ten minutes later they looked brand spanking new!

Now, I'm going to share my cleaning secret but I can't take any liability if you try it with different results or damage to your 'puters. Mine are so janky that I was willing to risk it. And no harm befell my little laptops. So, have you guessed what I used? That's right! The Magic Eraser my friends!

That thing really is magic. Like scary magic. I don't know what is in them or how they're made, but I'm sure it's some sort of dark secret that mere mortals are not meant to know. I used a brand new eraser and squeezed it so that it was just about dry and then swiped it over the grime. I rinsed it a few times between the two laptops and man did they look sparkly clean when I was done!

I swiped a few other neglected nooks and crannies before it started to disappear in my hands (more magic?) but I started to feel like I was in a commercial dancing around my room overly excited to be cleaning some nasty crevices. I finally came to my senses and put a stop to that nonsense. I  capital-H HATE cleaning, but some of that crazy magic must have taken over for a few minutes. It was scary, but I escaped the spell unharmed before I went too wild with myself. Nice try, Mr. Clean. Nice try.

Photobucket




19 comments

  1. You know the first pic didn't look so bad but the before and after, yikes !!! Not sure if we can buy the magic eraser here in Canada, must try, it sounds intriguing. I am a bit of a clean freak, ok, a lot of a clean freak and run around with my fav. Lysol spray at school. My reading table is bright yellow, imagine the fun that collects on that surface !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep...you can buy them in Canada...I use them all the time. They are my lifesaver :)

      Delete
  2. I never would've thought of Magic Eraser for the computer!!! Thanks for sharing. My computer looks a lot like your before picture!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Magic Erasers!!!! I use them for dry eraser erasers (does that make sense? haha). They work so much better than the actual erasers. Those always leave dirty streaks. I tend to write on my guided reading table (a lot) with dry erase markers and these erasers take it right off. The look on my students' face the first time I did it was hysterical. I've also heard they take permanent marker off surfaces.... but I don't want to test that one ;)

    Katie
    Dirty Hands and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness I use my Magic Erasers for everything! Now I have one more reason to use them!

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sunny!
    I loved reading this.
    I can picture you dancing around the room, looking for something to clean...
    And then POOF! Spell's over. I would be the same way!
    My room gets a big clean up once a year... and I am always amazed at what can happen in the 175 days in between efforts.

    Happy Summer!

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those Magic Erasers really are magic! I can't believe how clean those computers got! Thanks for the tip.

    Delighted in Second

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, those Magic Erasers really did the trick. Thanks for giving me the tip.

    April
    Wolfelicious

    ReplyDelete
  8. Magic Eraser saved my table!!! :) I feel the love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoever invented Magic Eraser is a genious. So many ways to use them!


    Yearn to Learn Blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use orange Clorox wipes for the keyboard and outer area. I found an LCD tv spray at Target that I use to clean the crazy finger prints from the screen (with a shammy). It works wonders.

    I've heard magic erasers contain chemicals that can be dangerous for kids to clean with them, but I use them on lots of surfaces (I just wash my hands when I'm done).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you SO much!!!! I have white MacBooks in my classroom that are DISGUSTING as well!! They look just like that!!! So glad to hear it works on them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea! And how gross to think of all the germs on our computers....uuuggghhhhh :0)
    Thanks for the great tip!~
    jeannie
    Kindergarten Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  13. For Annie41378, I am not posting this for the sake of argument, but rather because I was concerned about my own use of the Magic Erasers. It appears that the dangerous chemicals rumor is just that...a rumor:
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/eraser.asp

    Erase On, my friends! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Magic Erasers don't contain chemicals, they're made from the exact same kind of foam they use to sound proof rooms. You shouldn't use it on your skin, not because it's full of chemicals but because it's a very harsh abrasive.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am a die-hard fan of Magic Eraser.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE Magic Erasers...but haven't used this way. Thanks!
    Erika
    2B Honey Bunch
    Honey Bunch Blog Design

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've heard that white toothpaste also can clean the trackpad and keyboard of white Macbooks.
    Nicole
    Teaching With Style

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top