April Foolin'

Care for a brown-e?
     I am a huge believer in the old adage that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar, at least most of the time. So I do my best to maintain a very positive approach to classroom management. This worked to my advantage when setting up my little innocents for a great April Fool's prank. They fell so hard for it that it almost took the fun out of it - almost.

The Set-up
Me: You guys have been so awesome lately. You know how I always tell you how lucky I am to be your teacher?
Kids: Uh huh said with the "we've heard this a thousand times" tone
Me: Well, I have decided to bring you all a special treat tomorrow. I'm going to make you all my special homemade brownies.
Kids: WAHOO! YEHAW! loud cheers erupted along with one particularly happy little guy who actually fell out of his seat with wild abandon
Me: Wow, you guys don't usually get this excited over a treat! Well, these are very special. I only make them once a year. I'm so excited to share them with you! When you walk in tomorrow morning, there will be a brownie on your desk.
Kids: More cheers and random clapping, pats on the back, WAY too much enthusiasm for a brownie
Me: Feeling a bit bad about what they'd really find on their desk You guys are awesome & more teacher-y stuff about settling down, packing up...

The Prank
I did go home and make homemade "brownies", but not the kind they were expecting. I cut out some brown letter E's from my Cricut machine in the craft room in about 5 minutes as opposed to baking up a batch of brownies in the kitchen. As they walked in, they looked a little bewildered as they picked up the E on their desk. They were unusually quiet. One little guy finally looked at me and said, rather sadly, "Are these our brown-e's?" Clever kid!
Me: Yes, do you like them? I made them myself, just for you!
Kids: random rumblings & not so happy faces
Me: Oh, did you think I meant brownies...like the dessert??
Kids: Yes, yes we did.
Me: Well, it's a good thing I brought these too! pulling a box of brownie bites out of a bag April Fools!

In the end, they were just happy to get the brownie. And I was happy to make them happy.
At least I didn't send them on the hunt for the elusive LirpA Loof bird who only shows up on one special day in Spring. Maybe next year...




4 comments

  1. That is too funny! I'll have to remember that for next year! I love your blog! I put a link on my blog for you!
    Lifeinspecialeducation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that idea! My second graders love to April fool me, so I think I'll get them back next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, love this...I love this so much I walked around telling everyone in my family the story! (There is 6 of us, it took awhile!) I printed it to put into my April file at school for next year! It also took me a few minutes to get the LirpA Loof bird...you are amazing! I look forward to more of your blogs!
    ~Fern
    Fern Smith’s Classroom Ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone!
    I read about a similar idea a while ago and had it filed in my brain. Luckily I remembered it in time this year! Have fun with it next year :)

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top